Ah, yes. The beauty of the ocean crashing upon the shoals, cascading across the water-beaten rocks in an awesome spectacle of raw, natural power. For eons, these rocks have borne the brunt of nature’s wrath in an unending tug-of-war between an unstoppable force and an immovable object, providing constant movement but no objective sign of progress.
Do your marketing efforts feel the exact same way?
If they do, you’re not alone. It’s all too common to have marketing teams engaging in tons of activity, constantly moving and working on stuff but providing no real signs of progress. We call this seemingly futile exercise “churn.” This is one of the main reasons why many people see marketing as an inefficient and unmeasurable activity, and it’s also a big reason why marketing budgets are so high. Not only is churn frustrating to management, but it’s also discouraging to your marketing team. And don’t even ask about how it affects your relationship with your customers.
What’s the best way to avoid churn? If a solid process is put in place on the front end, it’s easy to keep marketing activities more focused, more disciplined, and more tightly aligned with the overall goals of the company. At Aximum, we use a system called the “Marketing Success Cycle,” specifically designed to eliminate marketing churn:
- Assess the current situation based on past communication activities, current needs, competition, and marketplace trends/factors
- Report the findings in clear, unambiguous language, focusing on how to improve communication and increase revenue opportunities
- Diagnose the best courses of action based on timelines, budget, and goals
- Execute on the agreed-upon strategies and tactical components of the plan
- Measure results, proactively report metrics, and compare actual results to goals, all with continuous improvement in mind
If your marketing team has a strategically-minded person at the helm, they can incorporate this process and achieve much better results. If you find yourself in need of a person like this, or you just need some help to take things to that next level, give us a call at 480-814-8838 or send us an email and we’ll be happy to speak with you about how to make your marketing activities churn-free.
Now go play in the surf. But be careful… those rocks can be slippery.
May 8, 2009 at 8:47 am